Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas, World

It's now almost 11 PM, Christmas Day--at least to most of the Christian world. December 25 is the day most people of the faith celebrate the birth of Jesus. Others celebrate on the 12Th day after, January 6, when the wise men of the east (Iran?) arrived and recognized birth of the King of the Jews. But that's not really the reason I'm writing.

After having some friends over for dinner and enjoying their company for several hours, I reflected on the preparation for the day. I would consider myself a pack rat, with a disconnect between bringing things into my house and organizing and, hopefully, removing things. Some people would call this cleaning, storing and basic "house 101". Recognizing it as a problem and coming up with a solution I can make work for me is, in my opinion, akin to defeating an addiction, like smoking, drinking, or drugs. It is also one of the reasons I do not entertain very much and only open the doors to a select group of people. There also seems to be a connection with a deep seated depression and anxiety. Couple that with the fact that, at an early age, most things came easy for me, especially schoolwork. Whatever didn't, I learned to avoid. Or am I just a lazy slob who finds excuses to avoid tasks I find uninteresting to spend my time on other things I get immediate satisfaction from?

So, in this last week of 2008 I will be looking for some solutions to help me move forward and be able to more effectively advance through 2009. It's only a start, but each journey does begin with a single step.

No comments: